The University of Michigan Medical School is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians. As an accredited CME provider, the Medical School can designate AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ for university activities that meet ACCME requirements.
Please note: Only basic "save the date" information (e.g., title, date, location; neither full schedule nor the ability to register) can be distributed before CME credit is designated for the activity. The CME application and approval process verifies that drafts of the main marketing materials include information required by the ACCME and the AMA. If the main marketing materials are distributed prior to approval and do not contain the required information, CME credit cannot be designated for the activity.
Select the type of activity being planned:
- Regularly Scheduled Series – These are live activities planned as a series of different sessions over time (e.g., weekly, bi-weekly, monthly). The audience is primarily UMHS personnel. Typical activities are grand rounds, clinical case conferences and journal clubs. Participants who attend the live activity event can claim credit, as well as those who view the live activity from a remote location and have the ability to interact with the live presenter and audience.
- One-Time Activity – These activities are planned as one-time events for a specific date or dates. The audience may be either UMHS personnel or non-UMHS personnel. Activities include short courses (local, regional and national), research days, visiting professor lectures, alumni meetings, outreach programs, components of research projects, and activities jointly sponsored with local specialty societies.
- Enduring Materials – Enduring educational materials can be developed in a variety of formats, e.g., online, CD-Rom, printed monograph, and video or audio tape. For CME credit to be designated, they must meet both general requirements for all CME activities and additional requirements for enduring materials, with further requirements for those accessed online. Recorded archives of live activities such as grand rounds are also considered enduring materials, and require a separate application for credit designation.
- Combined PI CME and Part IV MOC Activity – Participation in quality improvement (QI) projects that will meet the requirements for Part IV Maintenance of Certification (MOC) may also be approved for Category 1 credit. The audience may be either UMHS personnel or non-UMHS personnel.
- PI CME Activity – Participation in a performance improvement (PI) project with at least one PDCA cycle may be approved for 20 Category 1 credits. The audience may be either UMHS personnel or non-UMHS personnel.
Other Credits by Specialty or Discipline
Though OCME&LL only designates AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™, other types of CME credit may be relevant to specific audiences, e.g., AAFP Prescribed Credit if the audience includes many family physicians, or AOA Category 2-A credit if many osteopathic physicians, (etc.).
See the listing below for information regarding these other types of CME credit and how to apply for them.
- Contact Hours for Nursing www.med.umich.edu/nursing/prodev/ce.htm Note: Nurses in the State of Michigan can use AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ toward their relicensure.
- AAFP Prescribed Credit (Appropriate if your target audience includes family physicians)
For more information on the application process: AAFP Process To apply online: www.aafp.org/online/en/home/cme/cmea.html
- AOA Category 2-A Credit (Appropriate if your target audience includes DO's)
To apply: Send a copy of the program for your activity, listing the speakers and educational content, along with a cover letter requesting credit approval to: Delores Rodgers
American Osteopathic Association
142 E. Ontario Street, Chicago, IL 60611-2864
A formal letter of verification for CME will be returned to you after review. At this time, there is no fee for this service.
- Social Work CE Hours (Appropriate if your target audience includes social workers)
For more information: www.socialworkcec.com/formsandapplications.html